I was searching for connectors last night and identified that the bulk of the power connectors on the Wii U Gamepad are various series of JST connectors (Japan Solderless Terminal). I have already identified that the speaker terminals are both 2 pin JST ZH series, however I was having difficult finding an eagle library.
During my experimentation I have created what I believe is an early draft of what the final mod board will look like…
Key details to note are the board looks as though it will have a small enough form factor to be a Pi shield. The row of pads seeks to flat mount a Teensy LC to the board via a method called castellation. I found some discussion regarding castellation of the Teensy LC here.
Alternatively I will use some headers as shown below, however this will add to the total height.
Things to check in the final draft include:
- Will the Teensy LC fit on the Pi side or will it have to go on the outside. [YES! The underside looks pretty flat to me]
- Find an accurate representation of the speaker terminals and the joystick terminals. [Found, M02-JST-2MM-SMT item found in SparkFun Eagle Library]
- Are the terminals on the right side when the Pi is mounted (which way will the Pi be mounted?)
- Are the wires far enough apart?
- Will they be able to handle the required power?
- Will the Teensy sit flat / can it be castellised.
I will have to answer these questions prior to manufacturing this board, however I believe this will be key to fitting everything inside the case as is.
Meanwhile I have ordered my prototyping gear so I can get started on the prototype build.